Leads New Kitchen and Culinary Trend by Combining Vacuum and Steam to Make Sous Vide Cooking Easy from the Convenience of Your Own Home
Princeton, NJ – Miele, the largest family-owned luxury appliance manufacturer, has announced the availability of the new Vacuum-Sealing Drawer, which is revolutionizing how people cook, prepare and store food. Responding to the growing food-shopping trend; whether purchasing in larger quantity or more costly organic; or food preparation including marinating and transporting, a vacuum-sealer appliance assists in keeping food fresher longer and cooking in new ways. Pairing the Miele Vacuum-Sealing Drawer with the brand’s Combi-Steam oven, the user can prepare a sous vide meal from the convenience of their own home.
“We’re thrilled to launch our new Vacuum-Sealing Drawer,” said Kathrin Jahnke, Miele Senior Product Manager. “Previously, sous vide was reserved for fine-dining restaurants and the savviest of at-home chefs but with our Vacuum-Sealing Drawer, we’re making it easier, more convenient and more accessible than ever before to do it at home. Additionally, today’s shoppers are spending more on groceries, so the vacuum-sealing drawer provides a solution to keep food fresh and stored longer.”
The Vacuum-Sealing Drawer eliminates the need for bulky countertop options and performs eight applications including:
- Portioning: When large quantities of food are cooked, you can easily portion food for consumption later. Once vacuum-sealed, food remains fresh for longer in a freezer or refrigerator without compromising taste or quality. Thanks to vacuum-sealing, food also consumes less space, maximizing room in fridges and freezers.
Soft cheese, for example, remains fresh for considerably longer when it has been vacuum-sealed and stored in the refrigerator. A portion of lasagna can be easily warmed up in the Combi-Steam Oven in the vacuum bag. Bread and rolls also remain fresh for much longer at room temperature once they have been vacuum-sealed.
- Food Preparation and Longer-Lasting Freshness: Evacuating air, and hence oxygen, are the two main factors responsible for food spoilage: unwanted oxidation and the growth of bacteria. Depending on the initial condition of food, vacuum-sealing can extend its storage life three to five times longer than food exposed to oxidation, allowing food to be consumed later without any risk. It also prevents food from excessive drying and protects food against freezer burn, or contamination via smell or flavor.
- Re-sealing of Packages: Bags that have been opened can be easily re-sealed to guarantee longer-lasting freshness.
- Vacuum Sealing of Liquids: Liquids, like soup, are easy to seal in a vacuum bag, this is not possible with a counter-top unit. Marinades and salad dressing are also perfectly suited for this storage option. If you would like to transport liquids, the vacuum bag is a safe option too.
- Food Transport: Vacuuming sealing containers are ideal for vegetables and herbs that are sensitive to bruising as well as for daily foods such as sliced meat. The container is simply connected to a special adapter in the Vacuum-Sealing Drawer, which then extracts all the air.
- Marinating: Add food and your favorite marinade to a storage then vacuum seal it with the Vacuum-Sealing Drawer by Miele. By vacuum-sealing, the taste of the marinade is greatly intensified since flavors do not oxidize. The herbs and spices can work directly and in a very concentrated form on the food, cutting down the necessary wait-times for marinating.
- Preparation for Sous Vide Cooking: For sous vide cooking, the vacuum-sealing drawer and a steam oven pair together to form a gourmet team. The oxygen and air are removed from the vacuum bags, creating the perfect preparation for sous vide cooking. Unlike conventional cooking methods, flavor is locked in and food will not dry out. The vacuum packaging prevents moisture and flavors from escaping during the cooking process, allowing them to permeate back into the food being cooked.
- Re-Sealing and Sealing of Jars: Storing leftovers or baby food is not always easy but with the Vacuum-Sealing Drawer by Miele, they can be sealed for storage by filling food into small jars. Cooked food, compote, preserved vegetables or antipasti, for example, in preserving jars can conveniently be sealed airtight.
Vacuum Levels for Optimal Food Protection, Storage and Cooking
The Vacuum-Sealing Drawer enables the user to control the sealing level and sealing duration, depending on the sealing bag material, adjusting for delicate items, such as fish or vegetables, or performing a strong hold on meat that would benefit from locking in marinades or seasoning.
There are three different vacuum levels. For optimum food protection, meat should be vacuum-sealed at the highest level, while dishes with a high proportion of fluid should be vacuum-sealed at a mid-level and fruit that is sensitive to pressure, such as strawberries, require the lowest level.
The incorporated heat-sealing bar can be adjusted to the appropriate temperature to seal a variety of bags. Thinner bags as well as original packaging, such as chip bags, are gently and securely sealed on the lowest setting, while stronger bags that are used for sous vide cooking are set to the highest-level setting.
Sous Vide Cooking
Sous vide is a French term meaning, 'under vacuum', and refers to a method of cooking using vacuum sealed bags, where your food is cooked at low and steadily maintained temperatures (never fluctuating to high or low extremes) over an extended period of time. This type of cooking benefits your food as flavors and moisture are locked in and your food is cooked evenly with perfect texture — which is not easy to accomplish using conventional cooking methods. Sous vide is particularly ideal for meat and fish as this method allows herbs, seasoning and marinades to develop their full aroma without the flavor evaporating; the effect of marinating is even considerably enhanced. Low levels of moisture loss mean that meat and fish do not lose substance. The results are particularly tender, leaving a uniform texture.
With the all-new Vacuum Sealing Drawer, Miele makes the process extremely easy and convenient when paired with their Steam Oven or Combi-Steam Oven. Miele has also created a Sous Vide Cookbook to help enhance the customers’ cooking experience. Available on the Miele website, it includes recipes for fish, meat, vegetables, sauces, marinades, desserts, and more.
The Miele Vacuum Sealing Drawer fits conveniently with all other Miele appliances and is now available at retailers nationwide for $2,699.
Founded in Germany in 1899 with a single promise of Immer Besser, a phrase meaning Forever Better, Miele has dynamically grown to become the world’s largest family-owned and operated appliance company with more than 16,600 employees, 12 production facilities and representation in nearly 100 countries. As a premium appliance brand represented on all continents, Miele is steadfastly committed to the highest quality, performance and environmental standards. Miele’s range of exceptional consumer appliances includes: vacuum cleaners; laundry systems; rotary irons; dishwashers; ranges; built-in convection, speed, steam and combi-steam ovens; cooktops; ventilation hoods; refrigeration; wine storage and espresso/coffee systems.