Meatless sandwiches? Yes, today and maybe more than ever using alternative protein sources in important and sometimes the only option. Now, using these meatless options in a way that doesn’t cut back on flavor- no problem! This sandwich will please even the most meat driven person in your house.
8 Slices of rye bread
1 Pound of your favorite vegetarian deli product (a good idea is a mix of ham and roast beef flavor deli “meat”)
1 Cup jarred sauerkraut, drained
1 Cup of Vegetarian Friendly Russian dressing mixed with 1 Tablespoon mustard (brown or Dijon)
1 Cup grated gruyere cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
Pickles to serve as accompaniment
- Assemble sandwiches, dividing the ingredients for four sandwiches evenly.
- Using your Miele griddle set to medium heat; add butter and sauté sandwiches until brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. If you haven’t yet purchased a range with our Miele griddle then you can use a sauté pan set over medium heat.
- Heat butter until sizzling, add sandwiches and brown on each side about 4 minutes, allowing cheese to melt.
- Serve along with pickles and enjoy.
Looking for an alternative to a vegetarian deli ingredient? Swap the vegetarian deli ingredient for the following pickled mushroom recipe.
4 Large Portobello mushroom caps
1 Recipe Pickling Marinade (see below)
2 tablespoons picking spice mixture (purchased from spice aisle in super market)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Directions to Prepare Mushrooms:
- Marinate Mushrooms for an hour with the pickling marinade.
- Blot and gently apply pressure to them to release excess marinade.
- Heat your Miele griddle or saute pan with a bit of the butter. Fry the mushroom caps, pressing down intermittently with a spatula, flipping often, until golden brown. This should take about 10 minutes total.