Vegan Cashew Sauce
Looking for a Dairy-Free/Vegan recipe that will have them reaching for seconds? Everyone will love this creamy, spicy and delicious Vegan Cashew Tomato Sauce. And, if you are craving extra spicy just turn up the heat by increasing the amount of jalepenos. We’re serving this sauce over pasta for a quick and easy meal with plenty for leftovers. This dairy-free alternative will impress your family and wow your dinner guests!
Tip: Make this sauce ahead of time for a quick and delicious pasta night.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 cup raw cashews (soaked in warm water for 2 hours)
2 medium size shallots
1 jalapeno (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 fresh basil leaves
1 cup vegetable broth
Red pepper flakes (optional)
6 whole garlic cloves (peeled)
1 box of rigatoni or similar
Vegan Parmesan Cheese Ingredients
3/4 cup cashews
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Sauté garlic and salt until garlic browns but does not burn, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add shallots and Jalapenos, if using, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once shallots have browned, add in crushed tomatoes, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired. Continue to heat on a low to medium simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, mix soaked cashews and vegetable broth until liquid consistency.
- Add the cashew liquid to the sauté pan to lighten the sauce to a cream sauce color.
- Boil pasta on the cooktop or in the Combi-Steam Oven. Before draining pasta, add ¼ cup of pasta water to the sauce.
- In a clean blender, blend ingredients for Vegan Parmesan Cheese until fine.
- Serve Vegan Cashew Sauce over pasta and top with Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Add fresh basil for additional flavor!
To view this cooking video click here