Stained Glass Cookies
These cookies are so pretty they are almost too nice to eat! These sweet treats are a perfect gift to share or a fun activity with the kids. No matter what the occasion is you'll love making these unique beautiful cookies.
1 Stick unsalted butter
3/4 Cup sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon milk
Pinch of salt
2 Cups all-purpose flour
Hard candies (separated into colors, about 5 of each color that you’d like to use)
- Unwrap and separate hard candies into each color then place in separate small re-sealable bags. Break into small pieces using a meat mallet.
- To make the sugar cookie dough: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and mix to combine.
- Add in the vanilla and milk. Mix well.
- Add in salt and flour and mix until just combined and dough comes together.
- Shape dough into a rectangle and cut into 4 pieces. Wrap each section in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll 1 section of dough out onto a floured surface, 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a large cookie cutter, cut out as many shapes as possible. Cut out smaller shapes in the center to make the window. You can re-roll scraps of dough.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Fill each window with some of the crushed candy.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cookies are golden brown on the outside and candy is melted.
- Let cool completely on the cookie sheet until the cookies have cooled and the candy has hardened.
- Repeat with remaining dough.