Red Bell Peppers with vegetarian quinoa stuffing
Stuffed peppers lightened up with a delicious vegetarian Southwest inspired filling. Using the Combination Mode allows you to soften the peppers to the perfect texture while simultaneously cooking the filling. A second stage of Maxi Broil will melt Monterey Jack cheese with perfect browning.
1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
1/4 cup green chiles
2 fresh ears of corn (or 2 cups canned corn kernels)
1/2 cup canned black beans
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided for filling and topping
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 red bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded
Sour cream, if desired as side accompaniment
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a solid steam pan or glass loaf pan. Add 1 ½ cups of water to pan and slide onto rack. Program the oven. MasterChef / Grains / Quinoa / OK / Steam Cooking / Start Now. Time is approximately 15 minutes and you can add the corn when oven reaches 8 minutes or steam on its own.
- To prepare the fresh corn, with a sharp knife or scissors, trim the ends of the corn and remove a few outer leaves of the husk. Steam corn in remaining husk with quinoa when timer reaches 8 minutes or steam separately (Steam Cooking / 212°F / 8 minutes).
- When program has finished fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside. Remove husk from corn, cut kernels from the cob and place kernels in container with the quinoa.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, green chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes, cheeses, cilantro, cumin, garlic, onion and chili powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly trim the bottom of the peppers allowing them to stand straight.
- Place bell peppers in the HUB 62-22 and spoon the filling into each bell pepper cavity. Top with additional Monterey Jack cheese.
- Program the oven / Operating Mode / Combi-Mode / Surround / Set the Duration / 350°F / 20 minutes / 30%. Add a stage. Maxi Broil / Level 3 / 10 minutes / 20% / OK. Finish / OK / Start Now.
- Check peppers during second stage for desired browning.
- When program has finished allow peppers to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream to dollop on top of each pepper.