No Knead Bread from Le Creuset
The allure of bread success with this no knead bread recipe will entice all home bakers to give it a try. With the use of a Dutch Oven, everyone from a novice to someone that is a well seasoned at home cook can follow the simple directions. A long overnight rise is the secret that allows gluten to form without kneading. We love this recipe from Le Creuset for its use of bread flour and a subtle tang from apple cider vinegar.
No Knead Le Creuset Bread
4.5 qt. round Le Creuset Dutch Oven
4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Olive or vegetable
- Whisk together the flour, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Combine the water and vinegar in a measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the water mixture into the well. Use a spatula or your hands to stir the flour and liquid until no dry flour remains and a dry shaggy dough is formed. Cover bowl tightly with a pot lid or plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured work surface. Use floured hands to gently lift the edges of the dough into the center. Turn the dough over and shape it into a tight ball – the tighter the better – by rolling it on the work surface between your palms.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a Dutch oven with a little bit of oil. Put the dough in the center of the pot and place the lid on. Allow the dough to rise again, about 1-2 hours (less if it’s very hot and humid, more if it’s cold) until the dough is about double in size and mostly fills the pot.
- During the last 30 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 450°F. When ready to bake, score the bread with a sharp knife or razor, making an X or a hash mark. This will allow the dough to expand freely. Cover the pot and place it in the oven.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F, and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes until the bread is nicely browned and cooked through. It should have an internal temperature of approximately 200°F when done. Allow the bread to rest on a rack for at least 30 minutes so that the interior finishes cooking.
To view this cooking video click here