Herbed Holiday Turkey
Using your oven’s roast probe with AutoRoast will set you up for success for juicy and flavorful meat. Generously coating the skin with melted butter and herbs gives the bird a golden and crispy exterior. The AutoRoast begins by searing the turkey and towards the end roasting provides a countdown. It’s the perfect holiday sous chef!
1 twenty-pound turkey, giblets removed and rinsed
3 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 onion, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 bunch fresh thyme
8 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs of fresh sage
A 20-pound turkey will take approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes on AutoRoast. Time may vary based on the roasting pan and temperature of the turkey when it goes into the oven.
Directions for turkey
- Remove the turkey from refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, salt and black pepper. Rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the salt-and-pepper mixture. Fill the cavity with diced onion, lemon and herbs.
- Tie the legs together loosely with kitchen twine. Fold the neck flap under, and secure with toothpicks. Place the turkey, breast side up in the Miele HUB 5000-XL Gourmet Casserole Dish or your own roasting pan with V insert.
- Using the oven roast probe, insert the probe diagonally in the breast of the turkey along the bone. If you hit bone, gently pull back.
- Place the turkey in the oven on shelf level 2.
- Program the oven. Operating Mode / Auto Roast / 350°F / Core Temperature 160°F / OK.
- When fully cooked, remove the turkey from the oven, and let it rest, covered, for at least 20 minutes. Transfer to a carving board. Temperature will continue to rise to 165-170°F.
To view this cooking video click here