Green Bean Casserole
Green beans are a delicious side dish any time of the year. We love dressing them up for the holidays with a mushroom cream sauce and crunchy topping. It’s a traditional side dish with perfectly cooked green beans in the Combi-Steam oven.
4 slices sandwich bread
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups canned fried onions
Beans and Sauce
2 pounds green beans
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound white button mushrooms
3 medium cloves garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper
- In a large perforated steam pan, steam the green beans. Operating Modes / Steam Cooking / 212°F / 1 minute. Set aside.
- For the topping, pulse bread, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with onions. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven. Operating Modes / Convection Bake / 425°F.
- In a Dutch oven or large sauté pan, melt butter over medium high heat until foaming subsides. Add mushrooms, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook until mushrooms release moisture and liquid evaporates. Add flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir until evenly coated. Arrange in even layer in Miele half size HUB or a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with topping a bake until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling around edges, about 10 minutes.
Note: If you do not own a Combi-Steam oven, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add beans and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain in colander and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking. Spread beans on paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
To view this cooking video click here