Farro with Root Vegetables
Farro with Roasted Root vegetables makes for a great vegetarian dish, holiday side dish, or healthy work from home lunch. Crispy roasted root vegetables including caramelized carrots and parsnips tossed with farro make for a colorful and delicious dish during the fall season.
3 cups water
2 cups uncooked pearled farro
4 medium colorful (orange, purple, and white) carrots, peeled, 3/4-inch cut pieces
3 medium parsnips, peeled, cores removed and discarded, 3/4-inch cut pieces
1 large onion, 3/4-inch cut pieces
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus parsley leaves, for garnish
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat Convection Oven. Convection Bake / 430°F.
- Steam the farro: In a solid steam pan combine farro and 3 cups water.
- Slide steam pan on any shelf level and program the oven.
- Operating Modes / Steam Cooking / 212°F / 20 minutes.
- On a Universal Tray or glass speed oven tray, combine carrots, parsnips, onion, 1/2 cup oil, and 2 teaspoons salt; spread in an even layer. Roast in preheated oven until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 35 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place farro, chopped parsley, vinegars, garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer mixed roasted vegetables and pan drippings to a the bowl with farro.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley leaves. Serve warm.
*If you do not own a Combi-Steam Oven, cook farro on cooktop following package directions.
To view this cooking video click here