Bavarian Soft Pretzels
Looking for a comforting fall treat? Warm Bavarian pretzels are the perfect “treat yourself” snack. With your Miele Combi-Steam Oven, baking fresh pretzels is a great way to use your oven’s ability to program multiple stages of Combi-Mode cooking. This three-stage recipe allows you to get a delicate soft interior while achieving the pretzel’s signature color and “just right” crust. You’ll have a hard time waiting for them to be cool enough to eat!
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (coarse Kosher is good)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons salted butter
Coarse salt, for topping
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast with 1 1/4 cups warm water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, measure the 4 cups of flour, sugar and salt. Using the paddle attachment on a low speed, add yeast mixture into the flour, sugar and salt mixture.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead the dough for 7-10 minutes. The dough should be sticky, but not tacky. Add up to another cup of flour, if needed.
- Remove dough from mixer and knead by hand for 3 minutes, folding over itself and turning a 1/4 turn each time. Place dough in a buttered (or cooking sprayed) large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Proof for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the proof is complete, divide the dough into 8-10 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log. Let rest for a few minutes and continue to shape the log until it is approximately 24" in length.
- You can easily stretch the dough by holding each end and twirling the dough. Dip each piece of dough into a mixture of 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon baking soda. This will give the pretzels their distinct dark brown color. Now, shape the logs into a pretzel shape. First create a U with the dough. Cross the tip end of the U over one another twice. Take the ends of the U and fold them over to the bottom of the U.
- Place the pretzels on two Combi-Steam universal trays. Slide the trays into the 1st and 2nd runners. Fill the water reservoir and program the oven.
- Program the Oven: Choose Operating Mode, Combi-Mode and Convection Bake at 215 degrees Fahrenheit with 100% moisture for 8 minutes. Add a second stage, Combi-Mode, Convection Bake 400 degrees Fahrenheit with 60% moisture for 10 minutes. Start Now. While pretzels are baking, melt 2 tablespoons of salted butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the program is completed, open the oven (do not turn off), brush each pretzel with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Place trays back in oven and select add an additional program, 425 degrees Fahrenheit with 0% moisture for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and, if you like, brush with additional butter.
To view this cooking video click here