Bagels & Cream Cheese
Bagels made from just two ingredients? Not only are they possible, they’re also very delicious! These bagels are chewy on the outside, and soft and tender on the inside. And they’re the easiest bagels you’ll ever make! The two-ingredient dough is made by combining equal parts self-rising flour and Greek yogurt, and that’s it! Besides its simplicity, the real magic of this dough is its versatility. The same dough can be used to make pizza crust, flatbreads, pretzels, breadsticks, calzones, and cinnamon rolls, just to name a few.
1 Cup self-rising flour *
1 Cup plain Greek yogurt ** (fat free, lowfat, or whole milk yogurt are all fine)
1 Egg, beaten
Bagel toppings (poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes, everything bagel seasoning, etc.)
- Combine the self-rising flour and the yogurt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix with a dough hook for about five minutes until the ingredients are fully combined and the dough is smooth. If you do not have a stand mixer, combine the ingredients in a bowl and then knead on a well-floured work surface for about 5 minutes. This is a relatively sticky dough. If you find the dough is too sticky to work with, knead in a little more flour.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-8 inch long rope and then join the ends together to form a bagel shape. Optional: Brush each bagel with the lightly beaten egg and then sprinkle with the toppings of your choice.
- Line a Miele perforated baking pan with parchment paper. Place the bagels on the perforated pan and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
* If you do not have self-rising flour in your pantry, you can easily make your own. Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon fine salt.
** Be sure to use Greek yogurt, not regular yogurt, or your dough will not be thick enough.
Garlic Parmesan Knots – Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long, thin rope and then tie into a knot. Brush the knots with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Pizza Crust – Divide dough into two equal pieces. Using floured hands, roll each piece into a ball and then use a rolling pin to flatten into a circle. Top each crust with tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, and desired pizza toppings. Bake for 25 minutes, or until desired doneness.
Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks – Divide dough into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-8 inch long breadstick shape. Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter, then immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Cream Cheese Recipe
Making your own cream cheese is much easier than you would think – and only requires four ingredients!
Cheesecloth (Don't have a cheesecloth handy? Use an alternative such as paper towels, a coffee filter, a piece of linen)
Food processor or blender
2 Cups whole milk (must use whole milk - do not substitute with skim or lowfat!)
2 Cups plus 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
Salt to taste
- In a pot, combine milk and 2 cups heavy cream. Heat over medium heat until simmering.
- Add lemon juice or vinegar, 1 tablespoon at a time. After each tablespoon, stir for one minute before the next addition.
- Continue gently stirring until larger clumps of curds form and separate from the whey. Turn off the heat, cover, and allow to sit for ten minutes.
- Place a colander over a large bowl and line with cheesecloth. Pour the curds and whey into the cheesecloth-lined colander so all the liquid drains. Allow to sit for fifteen minutes.
- Add the curds to a food processor or blender, along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream. Season with salt, and blend until completely smooth and creamy. If the mixture is still too stiff, add some of the whey that you drained off, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer to a container with a lid and refrigerate. Store in fridge for up to a week.
Feel free to stir in your favorite ingredients to create custom flavors!
Garlic Herb - A clove of minced garlic plus 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite fresh herbs like parsley, chives, dill, green onions. Or use 1-2 tablespoon of dried herbs or seasoning mixes like Italian herb, or herbs de Provence.
Chives or Green Onions - Add ¼ cup of chopped fresh chives or scallions.
Bacon and Scallion - Add 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions plus ¼ cup of bacon bits.
Garden Veggies - Add ¼ cup of finely chopped or shredded mixed veggies, including carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers.
Sundried Tomato Basil- Add ¼ cup of chopped sundried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons chopped basil.
Cinnamon - Add 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
Chocolate Chip - Add ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips plus 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar.